Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Where have I been...


I like to travel, and the truth is that it doesn't matter to me most of the time the destination, as much as I enjoy the journey. Occasionally the destination is more important than the journey, and sometimes they are equally important to me. One of my favorite places in the world is Odessa, Ukraine. I have been there twice now and I hope to someday be able to live there at least for a year or two. The city completely fascinates me, both because of its' history and its' people, especially the ladies! (see above^^^) Now in the process of traveling to Ukraine I have had the privilege to spend a couple of nights in Vienna, Austria. That is a cool place too, let me tell ya! It is a mish-mash of old and new, and in at least one case Ancient! There is a little ice cream shop there that has the best vanilla custard I have EVER tasted. My first time in Ukraine I also had a chance to visit Kharkov, as well, plus even though I never left the airport, I also bounced through Kiev. That pretty much covers my European experience thus far.

Now, when it comes to the USA I have been LOTS of places. When I was a kid we used to go to visit my mom's family in Pennsylvania. That's the beginnings of my wanderlust. But I have found that no matter where I go, I am like a big yo-yo , and I have to come home to upstate New York . Home is where I have to go, it may not be where I want to be every day and all the time, but it is where I have to be at least for a little while. So when I was old enough to drive, I began to explore, first my region, then soon my state. When I was old enough to drive out of state I was off and running! First time I drove an interstate on my own, I missed an exit and ended up lost in downtown Syracuse with my little sister in the passenger seat, and the gas gauge just about bouncing on E. But it was a learning experience and I have taken a lot from it. And now when I get lost in any city in the world, I simply take my time and find my way out. Then I have a reference point from which to start when I go there again. at least in an American city I can generally read the signs and get a fix on where I am, My Russian isn't the greatest yet so when I am lost in Ukraine it's really and adventure!!

So here I am stuck in school and wanting to GO someplace, my senior year took forever because all I wanted to do was get out! Well It took me all summer after graduation, but I eventually had what I wanted and I took off for what I expected were greener pastures. I was south-bound and looking for glory. Having grown up in snow country I was looking for a warm winter in South Florida. Well it lasted for a couple of months, then I just knew that life was getting in the way of living and I headed for home. It was expensive to live down there and I wasn't making the money that I had hope to be making working in the business that I knew well, instead I was a shop monkey working in a metal-fab shop. It was work, but not what I wanted to be doing. So back to NY. So I have basically lived in NY since, but I have been all over this country in the mean time. I love Maine. I have driven across the US all the way to the Pacific Ocean once, and as far as Colorado one other time. Colorado is WAY cool, too cool for one post. Same for Maine and California and Tennessee. Yes indeed, I have had my adventures in TN! I have been around Kansas City, Missouri and Kansas. Toured Indianapolis, Indiana. Driven through Nashville in the afternoon rush hour, visited Lynchburg and the great Jack Daniels Distillery. I do have a favorite place in TN but it's not so much the place as the people who live there in Li'l ol' Bean Station! I have driven through some of the biggies, Washington DC, Charlotte, NC, Richmond, VA, Bristol, TN, Daytona FL, Miami, FL, Tallahassee, FL. Been through Mongomery, Alabama and Louiseville Kentucky, not to mention Cleveland and Columbus, Ohio. Hey, I drove I-70 from Columbus to Grand Junction 4 times! I have been to the Mad Greek's in Baker CA. I have spent time on the 405 in LA, and I have been in morning rushhour traffic in Orange county CA, on a motorcycle. For some of you that's an everyday occurence, but for this country boy from NY that was a true experience. two of the sweetest people in the world were kind enough to ride motorcycle with me along the Pacific Coast Highway from San Luis Obispo to Monterey. I have been to Memphis and walked along Beal Street with two of the most important people in my life. Saw the original Memphis Belle but never did see Graceland though.

I haven't been every where I want to go yet, but I have been lots of places and many that I haven't even listed here yet. Someday maybe I will be able to sit down in my favorite chair and just happily relive the memories, but I still have MANY left to make, so I will think about my next trip, when I have the money! right now I will look at the globe and decide where I want to go!

No comments: